NH BASS Federation Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
NH BASS Federation Nation

Fishing

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

We need longer tournaments

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
lemonfishin

lemonfishin

Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2007-03-05

We need longer tournaments Empty
PostSubject: We need longer tournaments   We need longer tournaments EmptyTue Mar 13, 2007 11:27 am

The New Hampshire Junior Bassmasters need longer tournaments to fish. Right now there 4 hours. The thing is though that for the first hour you getting to your sport, 2cnd hour figuring out what they are hitting on and what color along with the depth zones, then, by that time you've only got 1-2 hours left and if your not catching the right size fish your in a lot of trouble. This is a big problem, also we need to have more tournaments. For us guys that try to get sponsored, the companies say no because they wont get enough exposure out of it. It is needed that we need longer tournaments for sponsors for ourselves, because we simply do not have enough tournaments which to them is money and publicity.

Thanks for reading
Sincerely Gary Lemoine
Back to top Go down
http://lemoinebassfishing.cola-club.com
basswood

basswood

Number of posts : 89
Registration date : 2007-01-31

PostSubject: Re: We need longer tournaments   We need longer tournaments EmptyWed Mar 14, 2007 9:48 am

You make some good points. When you are looking for sponsors don't forget about the opens and STQT. These are all day events that the Jr 's usually attend. Add in a couple big casting kids events and expo's over the winter and you then offer allot more exposure for your sponsors. As for the tournaments, as a Jr you are there to get experience, to prepare you for the next step. That step is an actual adult club. If you practice and organize your skills and routine durring a short tournament it will only help you when you do participate in 8 hour events. Just think, if you have the ability to figure out the fish in 4 hours then 8 hours is a lock. Also another way to improve would be to PRE-FISH. Try to get out on the lake. Also look for input from other anglers about the lake you are fishing. Having a good map is also important.
There is alot to learn and you are getting the opportunity to do so . Most do not take advantage of these opportunities. When you are on the water with another adult angler be a sponge. Absorb everything no matter how insignifigate it may apear. Little differences in styles or rigging. And learn your electronics. It is impossible to be a consistant winning angler without knowing your electronics.
Well these are just a few of my opinions and there are many more factors. Remember Jr's is a learning experience. Enjoy it and take notes.
Later, Bill Church bounce
Back to top Go down
YD-Ray

YD-Ray

Number of posts : 47

PostSubject: Re: We need longer tournaments   We need longer tournaments EmptyThu Mar 15, 2007 9:15 pm

Thanks Bill,
I couldn't have said it better myself.
It is a great post and a subject we have been kicking around.
I'll go back to the notes to see what we came up with for duration.
Remember, you are also asking a boat captain to sit on his hands for 4 hours while you fish. That can feel like 8 hours to them, so we definitely need to be considerate of that as well.
Thanks,
Back to top Go down
http://sports.espn.go.com/outdoors/bassmaster/youth/index
lemonfishin

lemonfishin

Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2007-03-05

PostSubject: Both good points   We need longer tournaments EmptySat Mar 17, 2007 9:19 pm

I think that the regular bass members would not have a problem being out there longer but too see us catching fish like what Bills picture is would be most rewarding. We could pay them a little bit above the regular $5.00 to $10.00. This may help and it may not. We need to definately do something about tournament lengths though because it is just simply not enough time to get the bigger fish in the boat let alone a full limit. I got my first limit for the first time this year on Highland Lake in Stodard New Hampshire, It was a 2 fish limit, small limit but yes most all of us had limits. We need to increase the limit to 4 and have a longer time period to be able to get a bigger bag of fish. Our average weigh in right now is only abput 3-4 pounds per person, on a very good day. This is not working, also Like Bill said about Pre fishing. That can be really bad though, like alot of Bass Pros say. You may do well and then come tournament day know where they are go there not catching anything and you saying I know there here because I caught them last week. So you simply spend to much time at one spot, resulting in very little water covering. It also for if you were to stick a fish he or she may not bite again the next week.

Also Ray: why do we not have any Spawn tournaments? I can't wait for Highland again. I am gonna fish my goto bait and the bait I did well on last year seeing how my goto bait and this bait got me my first limit.
Back to top Go down
http://lemoinebassfishing.cola-club.com
basswood

basswood

Number of posts : 89

PostSubject: Re: We need longer tournaments   We need longer tournaments EmptySat Mar 17, 2007 10:52 pm

lemonfishin wrote:
I think that the regular bass members would not have a problem being out there longer but too see us catching fish like what Bills picture is would be most rewarding. We could pay them a little bit above the regular $5.00 to $10.00. This may help and it may not. We need to definately do something about tournament lengths though because it is just simply not enough time to get the bigger fish in the boat let alone a full limit. I got my first limit for the first time this year on Highland Lake in Stodard New Hampshire, It was a 2 fish limit, small limit but yes most all of us had limits. We need to increase the limit to 4 and have a longer time period to be able to get a bigger bag of fish. Our average weigh in right now is only abput 3-4 pounds per person, on a very good day. This is not working, also Like Bill said about Pre fishing. That can be really bad though, like alot of Bass Pros say. You may do well and then come tournament day know where they are go there not catching anything and you saying I know there here because I caught them last week. So you simply spend to much time at one spot, resulting in very little water covering. It also for if you were to stick a fish he or she may not bite again the next week.

Also Ray: why do we not have any Spawn tournaments? I can't wait for Highland again. I am gonna fish my goto bait and the bait I did well on last year seeing how my goto bait and this bait got me my first limit.

Ok first thing, tournament lengths. I for one have a very hard time going anywhere near water without getting my line wet. I have volunteered in the past as a boat captain. I will lend my services this year too. Also having more time on the water does not equal a limit or quality fish. Your ultimate goal is catch a limit. If you catch a limit every tournament you will be in the running at the end of the season. I have also seen a number of people fish 8 hours and not get bit. Having more time on the water is not always good. You have more time to mess yourself up. Do you do a 2 fish limit all year or only when the law states that limit?
Ok now pre-fishing. This part of tournament fishing is different for everyone. I personally spend my day pre-fishing to learn the lake. I mark ideal structure on my electronics and just use the day to learn the lake. I will fish but I am there to find the fish and learn the structures on the lake. If they do something different the next week or the weather changes I have other alternatives to fish.
Keep it simple and fish to your strengths. Use that as your starting point. Learn what fish do at different times of the year and the structure they typically relate to.
See ya on the water. practice practice........
Later, Bill
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: We need longer tournaments   We need longer tournaments Empty

Back to top Go down

We need longer tournaments
Page 1 of 1